Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
Most statisticians in the Department for Work and Pensions work in the Information Directorate (IFD). IFD provides a shared information service to the whole of DWP, as well as meeting wider needs for DWP statistics.
The head of IFD is DWP¡¯s Director for Information and also the Head of Profession for statistics. Almost all DWP National Statistics outputs are produced by IFD, but some statistical work is undertaken by statisticians in policy and operational units elsewhere in DWP.? IFD develops and maintains an integrated source of administrative data that covers DWP customers and the outcomes which the department helps to achieve for them; its products and business processes; its staff and many other aspects of its business. IFD is also responsible for the Family Resources Survey, which provides key information on the income of households. IFD provides a range of information services and makes data sets available to analysts to? support policy development and monitoring, research and analysis and? forecasting and modelling. It makes all of it key statistical information available to anyone outside of DWP through a web-based statistical tabulation tool.?
Key services provided by IFD include:
- National Statistics on DWP Benefits and Employment Programmes; Fraud? and Error measurement; Income & Poverty and national insurance contributions
- the provision of information for PQs, Ministerial submissions, etc.
- data matching to detect and help tackle fraud and error in the Benefit System; to support the Marketing of products and services to vulnerable customers within and outside DWP, for example Pension Credit Take-up; and to support the delivery of operational services e.g. winter fuel?payments
- Business Information services; including the provision of management information and applications, advice on targets and requirements, etc.
- leading the DWP data sharing strategy and data exchange between Government Departments
Statistical products managed:
National Statistics:? 41 (of which one is experimental)
Other official statistics: 2