The Chair of the UK Statistics Authority is Sir David Norgrove. David was appointed Chair of the Authority by Her Majesty the Queen in March 2017 following open competition, and with parliamentary approval.
Eight other non-executive members were appointed through open competition, some after consultation with the devolved administrations. The non-executive members are Professor Sir Adrian Smith FRS (who occupies the Deputy Chair post), Ms Sian Baldwin, Dame Colette Bowe, Dame Moira Gibb, Professor David Hand, Professor Jonathan Haskel, Dr David Levy and Ms Nora Nanayakkara.
The Authority has three executive members. They are John Pullinger (the National Statistician), Ed Humpherson (the Authority’s Director General for Regulation) and, on a rotational basis, one of the three ONS Directors General, currently Jonathan Athow (the Deputy National Statistician for Economic Statistics).
The National Statistician is a Crown appointment as the Authority’s and the Government’s principal adviser on official statistics. The National Statistician is Head of the Government Statistical Service, and is also the Authority’s Chief Executive and Permanent Secretary.
The Director General for Regulation is a statutory post as the the Authority’s principal adviser on the assessment and reassessment of official statistics and their compliance with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics.
Click on the links below for biographical information about each member of the Board of the UK Statistics Authority:
- Sir David Norgrove – Chair
- Professor Sir Adrian Smith FRS – Deputy Chair
- Ms Sian Baldwin – Non-Executive Director
- Dame Colette Bowe DBE – Non-Executive Director
- Dame Moira Gibb DBE – Non-Executive Director
- Professor David Hand OBE FBA – Non-Executive Director
- Professor Jonathan Haskel – Non-Executive Director
- Dr David Levy – Non-Executive Director
- Ms Nora Nanayakkara – Non-Executive Director
- Mr John Pullinger CB – National Statistician
- Mr Ed Humpherson – Director General for Regulation
- Mr Jonathan Athow – Deputy National Statistician for Economic Statistics
- Ms Heather Savory – Deputy National Statistician for Data Capability (In attendance)
- Mr Iain Bell – Deputy National Statistician for Population and Public Policy
The following page provides information about former non-executive members of the Authority: