The current National Statistician is John Pullinger who took up post in July 2014.
John Pullinger is a former President of the Royal Statistical Society. He is a chartered statistician and was the inaugural chair of the Royal Statistical Society’s “getstats” campaign. John has represented the UK internationally in EU, UN, OECD and other forums. He was previously Chair, and is currently Vice-Chair, of the United Nations Statistical Commission (UNSC). John was appointed a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB) in the 2014 New Year’s Honours for services to Parliament and to the community through Great Culverden Park Ltd.
The National Statistician is:
- principal adviser to the UK Statistics Authority (UKSA) and Government on official statistics.
- a member of UKSA Board as Chief Excecutive and Permanent Secretary.
- Head of the Government Statistical Service (GSS). Government Statistical Service (GSS) statistical policies, standards and guidance can be found in the Policy Store. This includes Guidance and other information from the National Statistician.
- planning of the development of statistics across government
- supporting statisticians and other officials to comply with the UKSA’s Code of Practice
- advising ministers, the Cabinet Secretary and other senior officials on the production, dissemination and use of statistics across government
- professional leadership for all statisticians producing official statistics, as Head of the GSS
- strategic oversight of the Office of National Statistics
- maintain strong relationships with devolved administrations; respecting their specific needs for devolved and other statistics while ensuring as far as possible harmonisation, coherence and consistency in UK-wide statistics
- act as head of the UK’s National Statistical Institute, promoting UK interests as well as contributing to higher standards in statistics across the world.
These reviews were commissioned or undertaken by the National Statistician as Head of the Government Statistical Service.
- Independent review of Methodology
- National Statistician’s Review of IPCC statistics
- National Statistician’s Review of Crime Statistics
- National Statistician’s Review of Housing Market Statistics
Contacting the National Statistician
You can email the National Statistician team or write to:
UK Statistics Authority