The National Statistician published her report on Monday 6 June 2011 following an independent Review of Crime Statistics for England and Wales.
In December 2010 the Home Secretary announced that the publication of crime statistics covering England and Wales would be moved out of the Home Office to promote greater public trust and demonstrate their independence. The Home Secretary invited the National Statistician to conduct an independent Review of Crime Statistics for England and Wales to:
- consider gaps, discrepancies and discontinuities within crime statistics;
- recommend the best future location for the publication of crime statistics, and their associated data collection systems, and;
- produce an action plan for the implementation of recommendations from the UK Statistics Authority’s report Overcoming Barriers to Trust in Crime Statistics: England and Wales published in May 2010.
The terms of reference, report and news release can be downloaded below.
- National Statistician’s Review of Crime Statistics 456.3 Kb Pdf document
- News Release – National Statistician’s Review of Crime Statistics 43.2 Kb Pdf document
- Crime Statistics Review – Terms of Reference 49.2 Kb Pdf document
- Overcoming Barriers to Trust in Crime Statistics: England and Wales 1.86 Mb Pdf document