We are currently assessing the extent to which the UK House Price Index produced by HM Land Registry, and the Northern Ireland House Price Index produced by Land & Property Services/Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) meet the professional standards set out in the statutory Code of Practice for Official Statistics. The findings from our Phase 1 Assessment of these indices were published on our website in July 2015.
The Code of Practice covers a wide range of issues such as the quality of the indices, their accessibility and the way that the producer body engages with users of the indices. Capturing the views of users, and potential users, forms an important part of our judgment about the indices, including how they could be improved. Feedback can be in any form, but it would be particularly helpful to us if you could structure your response around the following areas:
- Which of the UK House Price Index or the Northern Ireland House Price Index do you use, and for what purposes? Please be as specific as possible. For example, if you use the indices to provide briefing and further analysis to others, it would be helpful to know what the end use is, and in particular what types of decision are made based on the indices.
- To what extent do you think that the UK House Price Index and /or the Northern Ireland House Price Index maximises value added and shines a light on important issues in society? How do you think that they could be developed to help them become more valuable?
- Are the indices of sufficient quality for your needs, in particular do you consider them to be accurate enough, relevant and appropriately coherent with other data sources? Do you have any concerns about the methods used to produce the indices? How clear is the advice from HM Land Registry and/or NISRA about the strengths and limitations of the indices? What further information would you like?
- Is the presentation of the indices (through charts, tables, infographics and commentary) helpful to you? How could presentation be improved?
- How do you usually access the latest indices, for example, from the GOV.UK or NISRA websites, from the media etc? How could access be improved?
- How do HM Land Registry and/or NISRA engage with you as a user? Are there any areas where you would welcome improved engagement? For example, from answering your data queries, through to the future development of aspects of the indices?
- We welcome comments on any other aspect of these indices which you think might be relevant to our assessment.
- Finally, it may be useful for us to share your comments with HM Land Registry and/or NISRA to enable them to take account of your views. Please could you advise if you are happy for us to pass your comments and contact details on?
We may want to contact you to discuss your views. Please indicate whether you are happy for us to do so, and provide contact details. You may send your response via email to email@example.com or, if you would prefer, to speak to the assessment team please call Sara James (01633 456 024), Robert Lee (01633 456 901) or Oliver Fox-Tatum (01633 455 848).
Alternatively, our postal address is:
Office for Statistics Regulation
Statistics House, Cardiff Road
Newport, NP10 8XG
We look forward to receiving your comments by 19 May 2017